A History of The Miriam Hospital
The Miriam Hospital is a private, not-for-profit hospital. Throughout its history, extraordinary generosity has been the catalyst for The Miriam. The concept for the hospital began in 1902 when a small group of women began collecting coins to raise $1,000 for the down payment on "a place to care for the indigent sick of the Jewish faith.”
In 1907, The Miriam Hospital Association was formed to further the goal toward establishing a hospital in Providence. Their dream was achieved in 1926 when The Miriam received a charter from the Rhode Island state legislature.
All through the years, The Miriam Hospital Association, now known as The Miriam Hospital Women's Association, has played a major role in The Miriam’s development. Their fundraising efforts and volunteer programs provide invaluable assistance to the hospital and the community.
As the community grew, so did the need for health care services. The Miriam's evolution from a 63 bed hospital on Parade Street to the current 247 bed complex on Summit Avenue was a response to those needs. The new Miriam Hospital was dedicated on April 24, 1966 "to serve all the people of Rhode Island regardless of race, creed, origin or economic means."
To strengthen its core mission of patient care, research and medical education, The Miriam became affiliated with Brown Medical School in 1969 and is currently one of Rhode Island's major teaching hospitals. Now more than ever, education and research are significant factors in The Miriam’s continuing effort to provide quality patient care to the community it serves. The Miriam Hospital has received numerous clinical quality awards and its commitment to research is evidenced by its many clinical firsts including, performing the first lung operation, heart surgery and kidney transplant in Rhode Island.
Today, The Miriam Hospital is proud of its state of the art facilities and cutting edge technology. Since its humble beginnings, the generosity of our donors has provided funding for buildings, equipment, services, research, education and patient care making The Miriam what it is today, one of Southern New England’s finest and most respected hospitals. The partnership between The Miriam and the community that was forged in 1902 has endured through many generations and with your continued support, the future is one of unlimited possibilities.
Our Extraordinary Founders
Since 1902, when a handful of women began collecting coins to raise $1,000 for the down payment on "a place to care for the indigent sick of the Jewish faith.", extraordinary generosity has been the catalyst for The Miriam Hospital.
The handful of dedicated women eventually grew to 450 strong. They went door to door, raising $80,000 in just four weeks. Thanks to their efforts, the first Miriam Hospital opened in 1926 with 63 beds and 14 bassinets. Only a year later, another $82,000 was raised to help offset the cost of caring for indigent patients.
These fundraising efforts were the beginning of a remarkable partnership between The Miriam Hospital and the community that has endured through succeeding generations. When the need to expand beyond a small, neighborhood hospital became evident, a major building fund drive was launched. Although the drive was interrupted during the war years, an incredible $1.3 million was ultimately raised. The 150-bed hospital on Summit Avenue which opened in 1952 was a gift from the Jewish community to all the people of Rhode Island.
Today, The Miriam Hospital is proud of its 247 bed capacity and state of the art facilities. Since its humble beginnings, the generosity of our donors has provided funding for buildings, equipment, services, research, education and patient care helping make The Miriam one of Southern New England’s finest and most respected hospitals.
The "Pushke" Box Legacy
In 1902, a group of women committed themselves to establishing a place of healing, where Jewish customs were understood and preserved. Their dream to provide the best and most compassionate care to the community remains steadfast.
The "pushke" box stands as a symbol of our founders. These boxes were placed in homes throughout Providence to raise the funds that established The Miriam Hospital.